Hi and welcome back.
I hope you are still loving all the festive content. If you have missed any of my 12 Blogs of Christmas, you can catch up on them here. I have already shown my top 5 Advent Calendars and my November Favourites where I reflect on the end of the year and there is still a lot more to come! For today, I thought I would share my gluten free Vanilla Sugar Cookie Recipe. If you were with me last year, you will remember I hosted a competition on my Instagram to celebrate Christmas and reaching 150 followers where I gave away the recipe and ingredients. Now, I thought it was time to share on my blog. The recipe is so quick and easy and works perfectly every time. I use it to make my chocolate Reindeer and Iced Snowman cookies that always go down a treat. I hope you enjoy this recipe. C. -x-
Prep time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour to chill the dough; Baking time: 15 – 20 minutes ; Serves: 24 cookies
- 120g chilled butter (I love Stork).
- 180g gluten free plain flour.
- 70g caster sugar.
- 50g cornflour.
- 2 tablespoons milk.
- 1 teaspoon: vanilla, baking powder and xanthum gum.
- 1 egg yolk.
- Shift dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cubed butter and mix to form bread crumb texture.
- Add 2 tablespoons milk, 1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoon vanilla and combine to form a dough.
- Cover in cling film and rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough and add to a gluten free floured surface.
- Roll into a thin layer and cut out desired shapes.
- Add to a greased baking tray any bake at 180 dgrees Celscius for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove and leave to cool before decorating.
Decorating the Vanilla Sugar Cookies
- To make the biscuits extra festive why not try:
- Cutting the chilled cookie dough into Snowman shapes. I top mine with glacier icing sugar and gluten free chocolate chips to make mini Snowman.
- For Milk Chocolate Reindeer, use a gingerbread man shape to cut upside shapes from the chilled dough. Bake as normal and allow to fully cool before dipping the cookie in gluten free melted chocolate. Pipe on antlers and a nose using thickened glacier icing.
- For a Christmas Tree, take multiple sized star cutters and use these to cut shapes from the chilled cookie dough. Bake as before but remember to be careful with times (the smaller cookies will need less time than the larger ones). Once fully cooled, tip each cookie in glacier icing and stack in a off-centre tower starting with the larger cookies and working up to the smaller ones. Top with a silver star for decoration.
There you go! my gluten free Vanilla Sugar Cookie recipe that is perfect at any time of year but especially Christmas. I love how soft the cookie is and yet still holds its shape well. Just make sure to leave the cookies to fully cool before you decorate or they will fall apart. If you re-create this recipe, please let me know by sharing photos onto my Facebook page or by tagging me on Instagram using #livingcoeliac. I can’t wait to see your re-creations.
Speak to you soon.