Hi and welcome back.
With us officially in the summer season in the UK, I found myself day dreaming about all the food (as usual!). For me, the warmer weather means strawberries and cream, lemon bakes and scones. I have already posted a few recipes on my blog this summer of some of my favourite summer treats. Why not check out my Lemon Drizzle Cake or Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake if you are also feeling the summer vibes.
Jump to Recipe
With the warmer weather now upon us, I find myself wanted to enjoy time in the garden and having afternoon teas. Though I am that one annoying person who is enjoying coffee instead of a cup of fruit tea. Guilty! Anyone else the same? To me, an afternoon tea means tasty sandwiches, cake and lots and lots of scones. I always find myself eating so many scones though and then being to full to enjoy the cake.
I started to experiment and the result was these mini scones that you add the jam and cream on top of to create the perfect bite sized snack. They are great to enjoy on their own, rather than stacking on top of each other to make one large scone and they are so easy to make.
To make these mini scones, you simply combine flour and butter together to form a breadcrumb texture before adding the sugar, warm milk and egg. The resulting dough can be difficult to manipulate so I put mine in the fridge for 30 minutes. After the time, I roll out the dough, cut out shapes and then freeze for 10 minutes. Finally, glaze the scones with milk before baking upside down for 15 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this mini-scone recipe. I love these as a bite sized snack or as part of a gluten free afternoon tea. Now, the biggest argument is do you put jam on first or cream? C. – x –
My Gluten Free Mini Scone Recipe
Gluten Free Mini Scone Recipe
- 300 g gluten free plain flour plus extra for dusting.
- 150 ml milk warmed. plus extra for dusting.
- 80 g butter chilled
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthum gum
- ½ tsp salt
Preparing the Scone Mixture
- Sift together the: flour, baking powder, xanthum gum and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the butter and mix to form a breadcrumb texture.
- Add the egg, warmed milk and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Cover in wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
Making the Scone Shapes
- Roll out the dough on a gluten free floured surface to 2 mm thick.
- Use a medium circle cookie cutter to cut out the scone shapes.
- Add the scone shapes to a greased baking tray, leaving a small gap between each.
- Freeze the scones for 10 minutes.
Baking the Scones
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Turn the scone upside down and brush lightly with milk.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Leave to cool before serving.
There you go, my simple gluten free Mini Scone Recipe. I love how these turn out.
This recipe is perfect for an afternoon tea or as a canape when hosting a dinner party. If you re-create this recipe, please let me know by tagging me on Instagram using #livingcoeliac or by sharing photos to my Facebook Page.