Hi and welcome back to LivingCoeliac.
I hope you are doing well and enjoying the run-up to Christmas. If you are anything like me, you have been devouring endless numbers of gluten free mince pies from the local supermarkets. I used to hate them as a child but now I can’t get enough of them.
This year, I decided to try baking my own mince pies so I could adjust the fillings to suit me. I am very happy with the results. The pastry is flaky and sweet and the fillings just what I love.
I can’t begin to tell you how many times I used to worry about making gluten free pastry until I created this recipe. Now I know it works each time and I don’t have to panic about the pastry falling apart or the butter and flour not combining.
The trick to this recipe is to make the pastry and then wrap it in cling film and leave in the fridge for an hour to allow the butter to firm up before shaping into tarts.
For ease of this recipe, I recommend using store bought gluten free mince pie filling. You can always add dried cranberries to the mixture for an even more festive twists. I hope you enjoy. C – x –
Gluten Free Mince Pie Recipe
Gluten Free Mince Pies
- 250 g mince pie filling
- 200 g gluten free plain flour
- 100 g chilled butter cubed
- 75 g icing sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
- Sift together: flour, icing sugar and xanthum gum.
- Add cubed butter and mix to form breadcrumb texture.
- Add 1 beaten egg and mix to combine.
- Add 1 tbsp water as needed to bring mixture together.
- Wrap pastry in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
After 1 hour:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
- Roll out the pastry and cut out 12 large circles and 12 star shapes.
- Grease a muffin tray and add baking paper to prevent the mince pies sticking.
- Add 1 large circle to each hole in the muffin tray.
- Add mince pie filling to each mince pie until 3/4 full.
- Add 1 pastry star to each mince pie and press lightly to seal.
- Use the remaining beaten egg to brush over each mince pie.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden,
So there you go! my Gluten Free Mince Pie Recipe. Perfect to enjoy with friends and family over the festive season.
If you re-create this recipe, please let me know by tagging me on Instagram using #livingcoeliac or share your pictures directly to my Facebook page. Le me know what other gluten-free recipes you would like.
I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.