Hi and welcome to the first ever blog post of LivingCoeliac!
It is so nice for you to join me on this corner of the internet. My Name is Chrissi and I was diagnosed as a coeliac in Spring 2016 after suffering with continual stomach cramps and bloating after eating bread and other gluten containing products for years. If you want to know my story, please let me know in the comments below.
I was never much of a cook before I was diagnosed, but since the Free From section in any supermarket can get expensive, I decided to try and re-create my favourite recipes at home. On this blog, I will share my recipes with you to show you how simple it is to cook gluten free and still enjoy all the foods you love. I know it can be daunting being diagnosed with a food allergy so if you feel this way, please reach out to me. I will be happy to help in any way I can.
I have to admit, I am a big fan of pasta. I pretty much lived off this Italian staple with sauce when I was at university: simple tomato pasta sauce, spicy pasta sauce, macaroni cheese, lasagne – I really wasn’t fussy. As a newly diagnosed coeliac, I presumed most store bought pasta sauces would be safe for me to eat; I mean, it is not like they have bread in, right? Unfortunately, there is a lot of hidden gluten in store bought sauces and it took me a long time to realise it was the sauce, not the pasta that was causing me to be so ill. I tried the gluten-free pre-prepared options and enjoyed them but they can get expensive.
I created My Gluten Free Easy Tomato Sauce Recipe to help me with this and now I use it all the time. It is a quick and simple recipe but so versatile to make. I hope you enjoy. C. -x-
My Gluten Free Easy Tomato Sauce
- 300 g tinned tomatoes
- 1/2 single onion diced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Fry onions on low heat for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add: tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar and stir thoroughly.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes or until sauce starts to bubble.
- Leave for 3 minutes and then serve immediately on cooked pasta.
Alternatives to My Easy Tomato Sauce Recipe
- Add chilli powder or flakes at step 2 to create a spicy sauce – the perfect accompaniment to mince for a chilli or added to Nachos for a Mexican twist.
- This sauce can be separated into containers, and once cooled can be stored in the fridge until the next day.
- Add halloumi, chicken strips or peppers on top for a perfect finish.
So there you go. My Gluten Free Easy Tomato Sauce Recipe. Perfect for a quick meal and easy to re-create at home with simple ingredients. If you re-create this recipe, please let me know by tagging me on Instagram using the #livingcoeliac or share directly to my Facebook page. Let me know what other gluten-free recipes you would like. I am excited to start this journey with you.