Hi and welcome back.
I hope you are doing well and staying safe in these difficult times. I have been trying to keep my spirits up by baking and taking time for self care – something I have been sorely missing before this.
With the weather getting warmer, I am being drawn to more of the Spring/Summer flavours. Lately, I have been having a big craving for lemons and sweet things so have been adapting my recipes around this.
For me, there is no better combination to enjoy as the weather gets warmer than the sharpness of lemons with something sweet. It was never a flavour combination I used to enjoy until this year though the rest of my family is obsessed with it.
The lemon cake is such a British classic and a basic recipe for all bakers to have. I was looking through my recipes and realised I have never shared my simple Gluten and Dairy Free Lemon Cake so immediately began working on my own recipe.
The thing I love about this recipe is that it is so simple and easy to adapt to your tastes. For example, I use 1 large lemon or 2 medium lemons but you can add more or less depending on your taste, I find this amount of lemons gives just enough tartness without being overpowering.
To make this recipe, simply beat the butter and sugar as normal. Add the eggs and grate the lemons for the rind. Add the juice of the lemons and the flour and then divide the mixture into two cake tins.
My Lemon Cake is so easy to make gluten and dairy free by just using gluten free self raising flour (or gluten free plain flour with 2 extra tsp baking powder) and dairy free butter. If you don’t need the recipe to be dairy free, simply use a normal cooking butter (such as Stork) at the same quantities instead.
I am trying to bake only once a week so I can still enjoy it and I am not using too many resources. Do you have any ingredients you are still struggling to find? Let me know in the comments if there is and I will try and suggest alternatives.
So here is my Gluten and Dairy Free Lemon Cake Recipe. I hope you enjoy. Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. C -x-
My Gluten and Dairy Free Lemon Cake Recipe
Gluten and Dairy Free Lemon Cake
- 2 x 7inch cake pans
- 180 g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 160 g Dairy Free Butter
- 140 g Caster Sugar
- 3 medium Eggs
- 1 large lemon (or 2 medium)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Xanthum Gum.
Decorating the Lemon Cake
- 200 g Icing Sugar Plus extra to dust on the cake
- 100 g Dairy Free Butter
- 1 medium lemon
- Pre-heat the oven 10 180 Degrees Celsius.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Grate the zest of the lemon and add to the mixture, mixing to combine.
- Sift together the: flour, baking powder and xanthum gum.
- Add flour to lemon mixture and mix to combine.
- Juice the lemon and add to the mixture, stirring to combine.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 2 greased 7 inch cake pans.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool before decorating.
Decorating your Lemon Cake using Lemon Butter Icing
- Cream together the butter and icing sugar.
- Add the zest and juice of 1 medium lemon and stir to combine.
- Pipe the lemon butter icing on the top of 1 cake and sandwich the 2 cakes together.
- Dust with extra icing sugar and serve.
There you go! My Gluten and Dairy Free Lemon Cake that is easy to make and guaranteed all members of the family will enjoy. The cake should be light and fluffy with a hint of lemon. You can either keep it simple and decorate both cakes with icing sugar and serve separately or sandwich together using lemon buttercream. I love both options.
If you prefer a stronger taste, I would recommend using more lemons for the baking and decorating. I like how with this cake you get a hint of lemon from the cake and the icing. That way it isn’t overpowering at any point. The sharpness of the lemon also helps to counteract the sweetness of the cake.
I love this recipe and I hope you do too. If you re-create this recipe, please let me know in the comments below or by sharing your photos to my Instagram or Facebook Page. Links can be found on the side bar or below if you are looking for them.
Don’t forget to sign up for my Newsletter that goes live tomorrow!
Stay safe and keep smiling until then.