Hi and welcome back.
First of all, I just wanted to say thank you so much for all your support for my last blog. If you missed it, you can find the link here; it is where I explained where I have been over the last few months. It was a very difficult post to write and I am just so grateful for all your kind words.
Today I thought I would tackle a big cause for concern for me over the next few months, the dreaded Coronavirus (COVID-19). More specifically, I wanted to share some quick and simple meal ideas for you to enjoy if you are stuck at home or too busy working to cook food. The food shopping situation has become a very scary prospect to me. The rate at which people have started panic buying has left me feeling anxious and worried. These feelings are only heightened because of my coeliac disease. It is scary to hear people are struggling to find bread, pasta and eggs in simple stores knowing I struggle with this anyway.
In my blog posts over the next few weeks, I want to share simple and quick recipes that the whole family can enjoy regardless of any allergies. I hope you enjoy this simple and hearty meal. It can be served and enjoyed straight away or frozen to enjoy on a later day. You can use fresh vegetables, frozen or tinned and can be adjusted depending on what you can find in the stores. I love how this meal can cater to so many different requirements. Personally, I prefer beef mince but you can use lamb or vegetarian mince to cater to different tastes (please do check the vegetarian mince for allergies before preparing). I hope you enjoy a meal that can bring us all together. C. -x-
Prep Time: 15 minutes, Baking Time: 40 – 50 minutes; Serves: 6
- 800g potatoes, peeled and chopped.
- 500g British mince.
- 200g or 1 tin: peeled carrots, peas, sweetcorn.
- 100ml milk or dairy free alternative (Soya is a good option).
- 10g butter or dairy free alternative.
- 2 tomatoes, sliced.
- 1 onion, diced.
- 1 gluten free vegetable stock cube, made up as per requirements.
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In a separate sauce pan, boil water and add potatoes. Cook for 20 minutes or until softened.
- If using Fresh ONLY: boil together carrots, peas and sweetcorn in a separate saucepan for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Fry onions and mince until brown.
- Make up the vegetable stock using 300ml water.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
- Add the browned mince, carrots, peas, sweetcorn and vegetable stock mixture to a large baking tin.
- Drain the potatoes and mash together with milk, butter, salt and pepper.
- Spread the potato mixture over the mince mixture.
- Add dish to oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add sliced tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
There you go! This is one of my longer recipes but it is well worth the extra time and effort. You can double the recipe and freeze for later or why not separate out and deliver to family in need? I love adding grated cheese to mine for that extra tasty indulgence. If you re-create this recipe, please let me know by tagging me on Instagram or by sharing photos directly to my Facebook page. If you are on self-isolation, I hope you are okay and doing well. Please take the time to rest and enjoy time with family and loved ones. If you are on your own, please reach out.
Speak to you next week.