Hi and welcome back.
Sometimes, I am just craving a Full English Breakfast; anyone else feel the same? I find nothing quite beats the taste of cooked gluten free sausages, baked beans, scrambled eggs and hash browns in the morning. That and a cafetiere coffee watching the birds in the garden.
However, I find I only every have time for that on the rare weekend and that is definitely not often enough to satisfy my cravings of egg and hash browns. I was discussing this with my husband and he showed me pictures of mini breakfast muffin cups.
I was sold. I loved the idea and set to work to create a gluten free version that I could enjoy at home. Our first attempt was a bit of a mess but we soon got the hang of it.
This recipe comes together with only a few ingredients that I always have on hand: hash browns, sausages, tomatoes, eggs and cheese. That is my favourite flavour combination but the beauty of the recipe is that you can easily adapt them to suit your taste.
To make the recipe, you simply mash hash browns and put them at the bottom of a greased muffin tin. Add your fillings (chopped cooked sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes) and a spoonful of baked beans. Whisk eggs together and pour into the mixtures. Bake for 15 minutes and serve. I love mine on their own with tomato sauce while my husband enjoys his alongside a slice of toast.
We served these on Christmas Day to our family and with one dairy free, one gluten free and one vegetarian guest, they went down a treat. We made them ahead of time on Christmas Eve and simply reheated in the morning.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know what you think in the comments below. I can’t wait to see your re-creations on Instagram so don’t forget to tag me using #livingcoeliac. Links to my social media profiles can be found below. C. -x-
Gluten and Dairy Free Breakfast Muffin Cups
My Gluten and Dairy Free Breakfast Muffin Cups
- 12 case muffin tray
- 200 g Baked beans
- 8 cooked and cooled gluten free hash browns mashed
- 6 medium eggs whisked
- 30 g grated cheese dairy free if needed
- 3 cooked gluten free sausages
- 2 medium mushrooms diced
- 2 cherry tomatoes diced
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Liberally grease the muffin tin with sunflower oil.
- Add the mashed hash browns to the base, so they form a solid base.
- Cook the muffin cups for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, salt, pepper and sausages to a bowl and mix.
- Divide the sausage mixture between the muffin cases, pressing down gently on the mixture.
- Divide the baked beans between the muffin cases, taking care not to overfill.
- Carefully pour the whisked egg mixture into the cups, taking care not to overfill.
- Add cheese if using.
- Bake the muffins for 15 minutes or until the egg is cooked.
- Swap out the sausages for mushrooms instead for a Vegetarian option.
- Few people can resist these if you add chopped cooked bacon instead of sausages!
- Why not try adding gluten free black pudding with the hash browns for a Scottish twist?
- Bored of the eggs? Why not add chilli to them for an extra kick?
There you go! My quick and simple Gluten Free, Dairy Free Breakfast Muffin Cups. I hope you enjoy them.
I enjoy mine on its own with tomato ketchup but my other half prefers to add them to slices of toast for the full English Breakfast. They are a total indulgence and set you up for the day but you don’t have to worry about spending a long time in the kitchen.
Let me know in the comments what you think of them. If you re-create this recipe, as always, please let me know by tagging me on Instagram using #livingcoeliac or by sharing photos directly to my Facebook page.
Next week starts the 12 Blogs of Christmas!! I hope you are looking forward to all the Christmas Content coming your way.