Hi and welcome back.
I hope you are all doing well and keeping safe. I have been having a bit of a slump lately and all I have been craving is comfort food. I have been eating endless pasta meals lately.
Some of my favourites include my Broccoli and Cheddar Pasta Bake which you can find here or my my Gluten and Dairy Free Roasted Vegetable pasta bake which you can find here. Both are complete comfort meals and something that always puts a smile on my face.
When I am making any pasta bake, I make a double batch so I have food for leftovers the next day and to freeze for later. This way I am not only reminded to eat lunch but on the days when I have no motivation to cook, I am not tempted to call for a takeaway. Anyone else eating too many takeaways at the moment? It seems all my motivation goes out the window by 4pm.
A few weeks, at the star of lock-down, I was running out of fresh ingredients (and motivation to face going to the shops) and created this Mexican twist on the classic tuna pasta bake. It was amazing and I have been enjoying it ever since. I am self-isolating with family and they enjoy this dish too.
It is a great mix of comfort food as well as having the spices of the salsa, peppers and jalapenos to prevent us getting bored of it. I love the Mexican inspired twists; made from only a few ingredients I already have on hand. If you are looking for information on what to have in the cupboards as a coeliac and having a dairy allergy, you can find my blog post here for more information.
To make this Gluten and Dairy Free Mexican Tuna Pasta Bake, simply cook the pasta before adding my Easy Tomato Sauce with added: chillies, cilantro and tinned tuna. I also add jalapenos, pepper and sweetcorn to bring in the mexican spice. I add a tablespoon of salsa when cooking for extra spice.
To serve, I have it simply or with toasted bread and guacamole. I hope you enjoy this twist on a classic recipe. The different flavours brighten the simple pasta dish and you can add ingredients as you have them. C. -x-
My Gluten and Dairy Free Mexican Inspired Tuna Pasta Bake Recipe
Gluten and Dairy Free Mexican Inspired Tuna Pasta Bake
- 250 g Gluten Free Pasta.
- 200 g Tinned Tuna (2 Tins)
- 100 g Sweetcorn
- 1 Medium Onion Diced.
- 2 Medium Red Bell Peppers.
- 1 Serving of my Easy Gluten Free Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Salsa.
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes.
- 1 tsp salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add the onion, sliced bell pepper, salt, pepper and chilli flakes to a pan and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Drain the pasta and add to a baking dish.
- Combine the salsa, tuna and Easy Tomato Sauce together.
- Add the sweetcorn ,and cooked vegetables to the pasta.
- Add the sauce to the pasta mix, stirring fully to combine.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until piping hot.
- Serve immediately or leave to cool before freezing.
- Why not add chopped jalapenos over the dish before baking for an extra spicy kick?
- Try serving with sliced avocado and mayonnaise for a less intense spice.
- After 15 minutes of baking, add grated cheese and crushed nachos and cook for a further 5 minutes for a truly indulgent dish.
I hope you enjoy this simple twist on a truly classic pasta dish. I love the salsa, pepper and spice addition to the tuna and pasta. I love having mine with crushed nachos on top or why not add grated cheese instead?
If you re-create this recipe, please let me know by tagging my on Instagram using #livingcoeliac. I can’t wait to see what you add to this dish.