Hi and welcome back.
I hope you are okay and doing well. As we are officially in Spring, even if the weather in the United Kingdom doesn’t always feel like it, I have been finding myself drawn to light and fresh flavours.
I have had a particular obsession with lemons lately. If you missed it, you can check out my Gluten and Dairy Free Lemon Cake Recipe for a basic cake that is packed full of flavour. Either have it simply with icing sugar or why not make my decadent lemon buttercream (that is dairy free too) which is the perfect flavour combination.
I have seen lots of recipes for poke cakes recently and loved the idea. The base of this cake is to make a tray bake and then poke holes in. Hence the name Poke Cake.
The holes in the cake do not go straight through, only reaching 1/3 of the cake. You then add a sauce to the cake, where the sauce goes into the holes and gives a richer depth to the cake. You then add icing to the top, effectively hiding the holes and giving anyone who tastes it a surprise.
As it is Spring, I wanted to use the bright fresh lemon flavour in my cake. Spring to me means fresh flavours and strawberries. I created this Strawberry Sauce to go in the cake and it tastes amazing!
For this cake, you simply make the lemon cake batter using eggs, flour, sugar and dairy free butter with the zest and juice of 2 medium or 1 large lemon.
You then bake for 20 minutes before leaving to cool. Once cooled, use a spoon to poke holes in the cake. Add the strawberry sauce and then lemon buttercream before decorating with fresh strawberries.
The perfect cake to enjoy at the start of Spring. I hope you enjoy. Let me know in the comments below if you try this cake. C. -x-
My Gluten and Dairy Free Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake
Gluten and Dairy Free Lemon Strawberry Poke Cake
- Rectangular baking tin: 9" x 13" (22 cm x 33 cm)
- 160 g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 140 g Butter Dairy Free
- 120 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 1 Large Lemon
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Xanthum Gum
- 200 g Strawberries
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- ½ medium Lemon Juiced only (save zest for buttercream)
- 200 g Icing Sugar
- 100 g Butter Dairy Free
- 1 medium lemon Juiced and zested.
For the Lemon Cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, zest of the lemons and lemon juice and mix to fully combine.
- Sift together: flour, baking powder, salt and xanthum gum.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and stir to fully combine.
- Add mixture to baking tin and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool.
To Make the Strawberry Sauce
- Chop the strawberries.
- Add the strawberries, lemon juice and sugar to a pan on a low heat.
- Heat, stirring regularly until the strawberries soften and you have a thick sauce.
- Leave to cool.
Assembling the Cake
- Using a wooden spoon, make circular holes in rows across the sponge cake.
- Pour over the cooled strawberry sauce.
- Pipe on Lemon Buttercream.
- Cut into 12 smaller squares and serve.
There you go! My Gluten and Dairy Free Spring inspired Lemon and Strawberry Poke Cake. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do.
I find the sweetness of the strawberries perfectly balances the sharpness of the lemon buttercream and lemon cake.
If you re-create this recipe, please let me know by tagging me on Instagram using #livingcoeliac or by sharing photos to my Facebook Page.