Hi and welcome back.
There is something about a birthday party and tray bakes. I feel every party I went to as a child had at least one tray bake; chocolate and vanilla were the two main staples.
The tray bake is quick and simple to bake and kids especially seem to be able to enjoy without creating a complete mess (compared to a Victoria Sandwich).
Recently, I have been thinking about how much harder it must be for a child who is gluten free. Children’s birthday parties in particular. There is so much cake and food available and it can easily become a nightmare for cross-contamination.
While you can buy pre-made gluten free traybakes in Morrisons and Asda, there is nothing more special to a child than having a cake baked by Mum. Or is that just me? Some of my fondest birthday memories have been enjoying a slice of the cake my mum made me.
To make this Gluten Free Vanilla Tray Bake, simply cream together butter and sugar before adding eggs and gluten free flour and vanilla. I used a large baking tin (36.50 x 24.50 x 5.00 cm) but you can use whichever tin you have to hand.
This recipe creates one large traybake that I then divide into 15 pieces but you can always double or half the recipe depending on your party size.
This recipe is so simple to make ahead of time the day before and can last for 2 days if stored in an airtight container. You can decorate it simply as I have with pink glittered sprinkles for a girls birthday, or why not go extravagant?
I remember a birthday party my brother had growing up that was related to football. My mum made a tray bake and decorated it with green coloured buttercream and added mini chocolate footballs.
The beauty of a simple vanilla traybake is you can add any flavour combinations on top to decorate and they all work.
So here is my Gluten Free Vanilla Tray Bake Recipe. I hope you enjoy. Please let me know if you re-create this recipe by sharing photos to my Facebook Page or by tagging me on Instagram. I can’t wait to see your re-creations. I hope you enjoy. C. -x-.
My Gluten Free Vanilla Traybake Recipe
Gluten Free Vanilla Tray Bake
- 36.50 x 24.50 x 5.00 cm baking tin
- 180 g gluten free self raising flour
- 160 g butter (dairy free if needed).
- 150 g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
Decorating the Tray Bake
- 100 g butter (dairy free if needed)
- 200 g icing sugar
- 50 g sprinkles or chocolate chips (dairy free if needed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing to combine.
- Sift together the: flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, stirring to fully combine.
- Add cake mixture to greased tin and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool before decorating.
Decorating your Tray Bake
- Cream together the butter, vanilla extract and icing sugar.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cooled tray bake.
- Add sprinkles or chocolate chips and serve.
I hope you enjoyed this gluten free Vanilla Tray Bake Recipe. This recipe is great for children birthday parties or if you are just missing the sliced cake from School.
If you re-create this recipe, let me know by tagging me on Instagram using #livingcoeliac or by sharing images directly to my Facebook page. Newsletter is now here!
Don’t forget to subscribe so you do not miss out on any future blog posts.