Hi and welcome back.
Today I thought I would share one of my go-to recipes for a quick breakfast: gluten free Banana and Dark Chocolate Chip muffins. I will admit, when it comes to mornings, I am often not functioning too well. I have a morning routine which helps but I don’t seem to be able to face breakfast until at least an hour after I have woken up. This can cause problems for me, because by that time I am often pulling up to work so I need something to eat on route. I also don’t really enjoy eating first thing in the morning but having something tasty, like a banana chocolate chip muffin, brings joy to my day. You can bake this recipe and freeze the muffins for a month for quick easy breakfasts or simply enjoy them as a snack. I hope you enjoy. C. -x-
Prep time: 15 minutes; Baking time: 15 – 20 minutes; Serves: 12
- 220g gluten free self raising flour.
- 100g cooking butter, melted.
- 100g caster sugar.
- 100g gluten free dark chocolate chips.
- 3 bananas – over ripe and mashed.
- 2 eggs.
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt at room temperature.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1/2 teaspoon: xanthum gum, baking powder and salt.
- Mix butter and sugar together until fully combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the: self raising flour, xanthum gum, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture and yoghurt to mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Add mashed bananas and chocolate chips and stir until fully combined.
- Bake at 180 Degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes or until muffins are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Serve immediately or freeze for 1 month.
- To prevent the chocolate chips from sinking in the muffin cases, toss them lightly in gluten free flour before adding to the mixture.
- Overripe bananas are sweeter so make sure you use these.
- Why not try using vanilla yoghurt instead for extra sweetness?
- Need a dairy free alternative? Use dairy free butter and dairy free yoghurt (Alpro works great).
- Want an indulgent treat? Remove the muffin from its case and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Serve immediately with ice cream.
There you go! Simple and quick Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins that are perfect for breakfast or a mid-day snack. I do hope you like this recipe. If you re-create this recipe, please let me know by tagging me on Instagram using #livingcoeliac or by sharing photos directly to my Facebook page. If you are looking for more gluten free recipes, why not check out my How to Make: mini series which has a range of recipes from simple cupcakes to my go-to Chocolate Cake recipe. Best of all, every recipe is gluten free and can be made dairy free with minor alterations. Enjoy the baking! Don’t forget to subscribe to my monthly Newsletter so you do not miss any future blog posts.